Originally constructed in 1893, this historic mansion once served as the private residence of the William Nott family. He commissioned the Minneapolis City Hall architectural firm of Long and Kees to fashion a durable exterior of rusticated limestone.
The interior featured wood paneled walls, stained glass and ornate carved woodwork. Unfortunately, after his death the home suffered a number of diverse groups. During the 1970s, the building was utilized as a 55-bed nursing home, a halfway house, and a warehouse. By the early 1980s, the house had been a victim of both a fire and years of neglect. The structure was examined by many, including architects, and all were unwilling to tackle the effort of reviving the building.
Kodet Architectural Group, Ltd. rescued the abandoned mansion in 1986. Post 1893 additions were removed from the exterior and damaged stone pieces replaced. Interior elements, such as stairs and woodwork, were relocated or reconstructed to accommodate the building’s new use as office and exhibition spaces. Completely new mechanical, computer, and lighting systems now make the mansion fit for another century of productive use. The building now houses the Kodet Architectural Group offices as well as other various businesses.
Kodet Architectural Group Office awards:
1988 – Minneapolis Committee on Urban Environment Award for Nott Mansion Restoration